Monday, March 8, 2010

Tiredness and Acopia

Funny how being tired can affect everything else in my life. The little events, comments and accidents that I would usually be able to cope with, ignore or fix up, suddenly seem overwhelming. My ability to make decisions is reduced and my usual function (which I flatter myself is average most of the time) is well below par. I mean, there is no other way to explain the paralysis I experience when having to decide whether to use a comma or not. Suddenly the ability to find the spell-checker goes out the window, and the number of letters in the word is just, well, embarrassing.

So, in my considered medical opinion "acopia" (the condition of lacking coping) is significantly more likely in the absence of sufficient sleep. Then again, I think any mother of any baby is on to that diagnosis pretty quickly without the need for seven years at university. In the interests of full disclosure of my new insights into motherhood, I will also reveal that I have learned exactly why parents let their toddlers eat or not eat whatever they like, spend all day in front of the TV and have no discipline whatsoever...

1 comment:

  1. What you describe is so familiar. I didn't know there was a medical term for it; interesting. This is a difficult time.((hugs))

    ReplyDelete