Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Jealous

Ok, I admit it. This is somewhat insane, but I am jealous of the attention my husband is paying to the situation of the my friend's husband. I told you, it is insane!

Let me explain: my friend is the breadwinner for her family, and her husband (K) is the full-time stay-at-home father and primary carer for their son. When we went to their place for dinner, of course I chatted with my friend and the two fathers exchanged views on life, the universe and everything.

Ever since that night, D has gone on and on about how hard it must be for K, how he has given up his career and made such a sacrifice, how isolating it must be alone in the house all day with only a child to talk to, how relentless and grinding the demands of housework, how unappreciated all the work seems to be, how understandable it would be if K were to become depressed.

And I want to slap him and say: sound familiar? Or is it only admirable when a *man* does it? When a woman does it, this is just normal "wife work"??

1 comment:

  1. Well, I WOULD say "sound familiar", etc. Maybe he needs a little help connecting the dots.

    Don't get me going on "wife work"! Uggghhh! :)

    ReplyDelete